Athens Car Accident Lawyers
As one of the largest cities in the state of Georgia and home to the University of Georgia, Athens sees a significant amount of vehicle traffic on a day-to-day basis. Unfortunately, more cars on the road brings with it an increased risk that an Athens resident will be involved in a car crash in his or her lifetime.
Vehicle collisions can be life-changing events for all parties involved. Many victims are permanently injured or grapple with psychological trauma for years. Families may never recover from the loss of a loved one and the guilt of being the cause of a car crash where significant injuries were sustained can take a heavy mental toll on the at-fault party. Monetary compensation can go a long way towards helping families get back on their feet after an accident, so if you or a loved one was involved in a car crash, it is vital that you contact an Athens car accident attorney who can help you begin the process of recovery.Common Injuries
Whether caused by another driver’s decision to operate a vehicle while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, an improperly loaded truck with dangerous cargo, or distracted driving, the physical injuries that are often a consequence of negligent driving can be devastating. While the types of injuries sustained by accident victims vary, they are almost always painful and usually expensive to treat, and often can have long-lasting or permanent effects.
Some of the most common injuries that occur as a result of car crashes include:
- Head trauma;
- Spinal cord damage;
- Severe lacerations;
- Contusions and concussions;
- Broken and fractured bones;
- Organ damage and internal bleeding;
- Damage to the skin and lungs from toxic exposure;
- Traumatic brain injuries; and
- Psychological or emotional trauma.
While some injuries may only require a quick check-up and a bandage, others have far more serious consequences and require the victim to undergo expensive treatments. Recoverable costs for medical treatment for injuries sustained in a car crash may include:
- Emergency transportation and care;
- Ongoing physical and psychological therapy;
- Prescription medications;
- Follow-up doctor’s appointments;
- Travel expenses;
- Medical equipment; and
- Appointments with a specialist.
Other costs of a car accident may include towing, bills to repair property damage to a victim’s car, the cost of a rental vehicle, and, finally, the cost of replacing a vehicle altogether. Covering all of these bills can be especially difficult or even impossible if the injured party is unable to return to work, and so must suffer the additional loss of his or her wages. Fortunately, when another party’s wrongful act or negligence causes an accident, an experienced attorney can help ensure that the at-fault driver takes financial responsibility for the accident.
Aside from lost wages, victims may also be able to recover additional damages, including:
- Medical costs;
- Pain, suffering, and emotional distress;
- Loss of future income; and
- Wrongful death damages, if the accident resulted in the death of the victim.
In order to recover the cost of some or all of these damages, a victim must file a claim within two years of the date that the car accident occurred. If a victim only wishes to obtain compensation for property damage, then he or she has four years to file a claim for recovery.Verdicts and Settlements
The members of our legal team are proud to have been rated by Super Lawyers as being amongst the Top 100 lawyers in Georgia. We were also honored to be granted membership in the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, which accepts less than one percent of lawyers in the nation. Our reputation in the legal community is also based on our firm’s successes, some of which include:
- A confidential wrongful death settlement for the family of a man who was killed in a two-car collision on I-285;
- A $350,000 award for a pedestrian who required rotator cuff and meniscal surgery after being struck by a vehicle;
- A $750,000 award for a University of Georgia student who suffered facial scars as a result of being struck by a van while riding a bicycle; and
- A $100,000 settlement for a mother who suffered a herniated disc and required surgery after being involved in a T-bone collision.
If you were the victim of a car crash caused by another driver’s negligence, the at-fault party should and can be required to compensate you for the harm you suffered as a result of his or her actions. Please contact the Athens car accident attorneys at the Christopher Simon Attorney at Law by calling 404-259-7635 for a free consultation.